On 6 August 2021, the Romanian DPA published a press release announcing the issuance of its 2020 Annual Report (the “Report”).
The Report contains a synthetic presentation of the Romanian DPA’s activity during 2020, as well as statistical benchmarks, including graphics compared to previous years. Also, it includes case-law regarding the investigation activity, as well as the most relevant points of view issued by the Romanian DPA.
In a nutshell, the key numbers for the Romanian DPA’s activities performed over 2020 include:
- 5,082 complaints received (down from 5,808 in the previous year);
- 194 data breach notifications (down from 233 in the previous year);
- 694 new investigations opened (down from 912 in the previous year);
- 29 fines amounting to a total of RON 892,115.95;
- 64 warnings issued and 65 corrective measures applied;
- 127 pending court cases in various procedural stages (down from 207 in the previous year);
- 65 opinions issued on draft normative acts;
- 1,151 requests received for points of view on matters related to the protection of personal data;
- 56 requests handled in the context of cooperation with other supervisory authorities in the European Union for ensuring mutual assistance.